Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Playing some Gears of War

So I am little over video-gamed right now. This season has too many great A-list titles that I have to take advantage of. To name a few on my list: Fable 2, Little Big Planet, World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, and Gears of War 2. Now I bought Gears of War 2 the day it came out (Friday the 7th), and I was too caught up in Little Big Planet (I will talk about this one later) that I hadn't gotten a chance to pop it in until today. And oh my God, it is awesome.

To the uninitiated, Gears of War is a series on the Xbox 360, that pits a hardy group of tree-thick human brutes, known as Gears against an invading unstoppable horde of underground beasties known as locusts. Their (Humans) planet has been ravaged by Civil War for nearly a century, and when they are at the brink of destroying themselves, a new enemy (locusts) bursts forth from the ground (literally) and begin to decimate the entire planet. I really love the setup and the story to the original, so I am very anxious to play through this one.

The gameplay is different from other shooters in that in it you are forced to use cover 95% of the time. Rather than jumping, blindly firing at enemies you are forced into ducking and covering, taking quick potshots over a rail. The action is crazy intense, and the graphics are just out of this world. Check out this screen shot:


Or this one:


The original Gears of War was released in Oct 2006, and up until its sequel, was the best looking game ever. So far this one has easily been able to surpass its predecessor. But I haven't finished it yet (I only started today), but I have a feeling this is going to be an instant classic. And I hear the multi-player is very good as well. We shall just have to see.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment