Monday, February 23, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: House of Wax

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

House of Wax
Released: April 25, 1953
Directed by: André de Toth
Starring: Vincent Price, Frank Lovejoy, & Phyllis Kirk

Plot in a Nutshell:
A devoted sculptor of wax figures, Professor Jarrod, owns a museum with a businessman, who after failing to find an offer decides to destroy the collection and claim the insurance money. Jarrod refuses to go along and is attacked unexpectedly by his partner, who burns the museum and leaves the sculptor for dead. After he survives he begins a new wax museum, only now, rather than historical figures, the figures represent death and murder. Then suspicions arise when people begin noticing similarities between the new figures and the recently deceased.

What I thought:
I think I saw this when I was younger but I don't remember it very well, and after the disappointment of last week's House on Haunted Hill, I was left craving for more Vincent Price, and a little more horror. Did House of Wax fulfill my hope? Absolutely.

Unlike last week's House on Hunted Hill, this film actually delivered on the creep factor. Of course I don't think you could not make a movie about wax figures and have it NOT be creepy. The ick factor for just the realistic wax sculptures was enough to give you the chills. It certainly helped that they ended up being REAL people covered in wax. How gruesome! (I always knew wax figures looked too real, now I know why.)

Vincent Price is the creepiest gentleman I think that has ever been put on screen. He exudes a sinister thinking through his character of the insane sculptor. It was fascinating to see the transformation of his character. In the beginning he is a humble artist, who likes to sculpt beautiful things. He doesn't revel in death or the macabre like his competitors in the wax circuit. However, when he is turned on by his partner and horribly burned in the fire, his obsessive insanity begins to take him over. Vincent Price has no problem portraying this tormented man.

It was still a little bit silly. The characters are one note, and the scares aren't tremendous, but it still manages to draw you in with its mystery and horror. And in the end, it manages to provide a creep factor that still holds up today. This is what a great B-movie from the 50s should be.

Bottom Line:
Vincent Price delivers a perfect blend of cordial insanity in this utterly creepy film, that somehow still manages to be quite an entertaining and thrilling film.

B

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment