Monday, March 30, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Released: September 23, 1969
Directed by: George Roy Hill
Starring: Paul Newman, Robert Redford, Katharine Ross

Plot in a Nutshell:
Butch (Newman) and Sundance (Redford) are two robbers in old west America. The business of holding up banks and trains has been going well for the two, until the law comes after them.

What I thought:
Two stellar performers in their cinematic prime meet in this film that could be described as one of the best buddy pics ever made. I would have to agree. Newman and Redford make one of the best pairings in film that I have ever seen. This and the Sting have certainly cemented them among the legends of cinema history.

Even though their entire profession is made from robbing and stealing, the film makes light of the situations and their actions. This is a film where the heroes are thieves and the villains are the eyes and guns of the law. These kinds of films tend to be very entertaining, however as soon as you start applying logic and any sense of righteousness, the characters loose their luster swiftly.

I guess I was expecting the film to be a little heavier in tone. It does get there towards the end of the film, but even then they are still firing their buddy shtick on all cylinders. I'm not saying it was bad, but I was expecting it to be harder. But I guess coming from these two, I should have expected better.

Not enough can be said about Paul Newman and Robert Redford. These guys know how to work and act together as one cohesive unit. They play so much off of each other, that you find yourself wrapped up in their friendly chummy bantering far too often. These guys are awesome.

A big problem I had with the film was the music. Composed by Burt Bacharach, its jazzy nature detracts from the film on more than one occasion. I understand that the film was intended to be light, and the music certainly aids in this regard, however I found it to be very distracting when it shouldn't be. The film could have benefited from a more traditional and rousing score, but then it would be a different film, and I don't think that would be a good thing.

In the end I found that I really enjoyed the film. There was one sequence that I loved. It is the equivalent of a high speed chase in a western. A posse of lawmen are on the trail of Butch and Sundance after a failed robbery attempt. Taking place over several days and I don't know how many states/territories, they are slowly tracked and chased all the way up against a cliff drop off. It was the single best sequence I have seen put together in quite some time. Beginning with their confidence in an easy escape, they slowly realize they are in a run for their lives. I thought it was exhilarating to see unfold.

This is a must see film.

Bottom Line:
Strong performers in strong leads make strong movies, Newman and Redford make their characters and this film well worth a watch.

B+

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment