Monday, March 16, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: Dr. Strangelove

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Released: January 29, 1964
Directed by: Stanley Kubrick
Starring: Peter Sellers, George C. Scott, Slim Pickens

Plot in a Nutshell:
A US General, without any order to do so, initiates a nuclear attack on Russia. When the President finds out, he and his advisers try to keep the situation in control and begin an unprecedented communication with Russia, while one of the B52s armed with nukes gets nearer to its target.

What I thought:
I don't know where to begin with this one. It wears the clothes of a serious film, yet speaks with a comedic tongue. It isn't light in the least (we are talking about nuclear armageddon here). Funny at times, scary at others, this film seems to capture a brilliant sense of high-stakes satire. However, it is still a Kubrick film, so expect some oddities.

Firstly, let me point out that I have never seen a film like this. Normally when you watch a film that is a send-up of a particular topic, it will be a bit more farce and less gravity. Yet somehow, Dr. Strangelove manages to balance a perfect mixture of outrageous comedy, and a lot of heavy, within the severity of the situations.

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room."
The performances are great. George C. Scott is hilarious as his over the top General (which was not his intent; Kubrick tricked him into playing it extreme by saying they were warm up takes, not to be used, well he used them). Peter Sellers works overtime in three roles, perfectly capturing each character's plight and still managing to keep things light and funny. And then there is the always funny Slim Pickins as the B52 pilot the story focuses on. I think everybody has heard of his memorable trip on a falling nuke.

For some reason I am having a difficult time writing about this film. I know I got everything. It isn't like its a difficult film to get. But there is something I feel I can't put into words. I can only recommend it if you haven't seen it. It puts cold war hysteria in quite a different light than you've ever seen before. And though it is a satire, the situations seem all too real, and this is almost what I would have expected to really go down.

It's a film that I will be revisiting.

Bottom Line:
A very strong film. Kubrick weaves his brilliant satire with little drag and a lot of funny.

B+

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment