Monday, March 9, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: The Omega Man

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

The Omega Man
Released: August 1, 1971
Directed by: Boris Sagal
Starring: Charlton Heston, Anthony Zerbe, & Rosalind Cash

Plot in a Nutshell:
Dr. Robert Neville (Heston) is the last human on earth after a deadly outbreak of a strange plague that kills many and mutates some into vampiric creatures. Neville is bent on killing/curing the creatures who in turn are bent on getting rid of him.

What I thought:
This is a very interesting story, one that I fell in love with after seeing the recent I Am Legend. The idea that mutated creatures after an outbreak can think, plan, and could be construed as victims, turns every vampire/zombie premise on its head. I love it! But as much as I enjoy the idea, this adaption of Richard Matheson's I Am Legend, is not the best film, but maybe that doesn't matter.

As I said, I love this story. The idea that a mindless monster (i.e. zombies, vampires, etc.) can actually be the victim of genocide is very interesting. I am continuously fascinated by stories that take what everyone deems to be hideous or dangerous, and turns that cliched stereotype on itself by victimizing what should be the enemy. Unfortunately this film doesn't explore that idea fully. Like the Will Smith I Am Legend, this is a missed opportunity to tell a far more interesting story.

In the film, the creatures are monsters, and very little is done to tell their side of things. Rather than explaining where they come from, and how much they hate and fear Neville for killing them off, they are merely reduced to "the bad guys." While I do feel that to some degree, that is ok, I wish they would explore their motives a bit more. Imagine how much more interesting it would be if you root for who you think is the hero, killing monsters and such, then only to discover he is committing mass murder of a new civilization. Granted the new civilization is a deformed and grotesque mirror of human life. But it still would provide a much more interesting film.

This movie was made in the early 70s, and you can tell. Everything from the beep bopping soundtrack to the insane camera zips and zooms exudes cheesy 70s cinema. And believe me, it is incredibly over the top cheesy. The villains looks like they were doused with baby powder and shoved in a hooded robe and wallah; BAD GUYS! It is so hard to take their plight seriously when they look so ridiculous and behave like a pack of buffoons. The main chicky (Cash) has a fro twice the size of her head, and I found myself laughing when they framed a close up of her, and the fro was taking up the majority of frame. It was a bit ridiculous.

About the only thing I love about this film is Charlton Heston. He's always portraying a character slightly larger than life, exaggerated, yet somehow still managing to create real human empathy for Neville. It is not difficult to create sympathy with the last man on earth; that story will always be ripe with sadness and tragedy, regardless of how you tell it. But Heston brings a weight to the material as only he could. Sure and defiant, full of vigor and spite, he commands the character in his most triumphant of moments. Even when he is captured and nearly killed, he never loses his swagger, and it is great fun to watch him play here.

I can allow for the fact that it is a 70s movie and there were certain limitations as to how good the effects can be, but at the end of the day, it has to be the story that stands the test of time, and I think it does. Even in all its corny, goofy, and outright silliest of moments, the film still tells an interesting story, that's what's important. I just wish they would have gone further with the creatures than merely making them the cardboard cut out bad guys.

Bottom Line:
A cheesy adaptation of great material still makes an interesting film, even though it is a missed opportunity to tell a much more interesting side of the story.

C+

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment