Monday, September 21, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: Animal House

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

Animal House
Released: July 28, 1978
Directed by: John Landis
Starring: John Belushi, Tom Hulce, & Karen Allen

Plot in a Nutshell:
At Faber College, 1962, a determined Dean is intent on removing the rowdy and mischievous Delta house fraternity, but they have other plans.

What I thought:
What is it that makes a classic film? Memorable Lines? Fantastic Characters? Stay-ability? I don't think you can pin the concept of a classic on any one of those, rather it is how a film impacts and sticks, long after you've seen it. Animal House is a movie that dares you to not find its charm, vulgarity, and goofy antics hilarious and worth every, repeated viewing.

I found myself while watching, that I've seen this movie before. No, I had never seen the film, but the impact that it has had on our pop culture is noticeable. Even to someone like me who had never seen it, it is hard not to see the appeal and impact the film has had. Many of the scenes, the lines, the jokes, and antics, I have heard before. Every song on the soundtrack has been pounded into my head during my adolescence. It is a movie that is so entrenched into our pop culture, that those who are not even aware of it, have felt its repercussions.

It's hard to judge this film based on filmmaking style or technique. Comedies don't need to be slick, stylish, or artistic. Their ultimate goal, is to make you laugh, and maybe be a bit reminiscent. The set ups here are hilarious, and the payoffs equally terrific. On more than a few occasions I found myself laughing hysterically at the situations, circumstances, and insane characters, but mainly Belushi.

John Belushi IS this movie. He is a cartoon come to life. His expressions and mannerisms are always a laugh. When he sits in a corner and does nothing but look side to side, you can't help but giggle at him. His peeping-tom scene is probably the greatest moment in the entire film. Peeking in through the widow at a very undressed college girl, he turns to the camera and gives a flash of his expressive brows. He says, to THE AUDIENCE, "Look at me, isn't this awesome!" Between this, Blues Brothers, and his stint on SNL, Belushi left us some great comedy moments. It's only a shame he wasn't around longer.

Animal House is a terrific comedy, that isn't particular impressive for its style, but more for how outlandish and hilarious it ultimately is. If you have never seen this film, I can't recommend it enough. I'm already looking forward to watching it again, and if you know me and comedies, that's no small task.

Bottom Line:
A hysterical college Frat picture, filled with classic lines and some terrific comic moments, and Belushi is always great.

A

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment