Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Classic Movie Monday: Porky's

Welcome to Classic Movie Monday. Every Monday, I watch a film at least 25 years old that I have never seen before. I will then write my comments on the film, telling you what I thought of it. This is an attempt to beef up my classic film knowledge as well as highlight some forgotten gems of Hollywood's heyday. So without further ado...

Porky's
Released: March 19, 1982
Directed by: Bob Clark
Starring: Dan Monahan, Mark Herrier, & Wyatt Knight

Plot in a Nutshell:
A group of teenagers in 1954, must deal with high school, raging hormones, and a malicious bar owner, all while trying to lose their virginity.

What I thought:
I find it difficult to review this film. Not because it is bad, but because there really isn't much to say. This is probably one of the first true teenage sex comedies to be made. Angsty Teenagers have to fight against evil adults, throw in a healthy dose of sex and nudity and you have Porky's in a nutshell.

I didn't hate the film, but I can't like it. There were more than a few memorable moments, that I'm sure many people will fondly reminisce about, but it just doesn't do much for me. I could go into about how the characters suck, the story is simplistic, and how enough random bits of funny can't elevate a movie out of garbage.

This movie isn't pure out trash, but it comes close. I did enjoy the main antagonist Porky. I loved how he treated the boys like a bunch of stupid horny teenagers. And I also liked the character Pee Wee. A guy who is so awkward but still manages to have a good time and make his friends laugh. There are some good dynamics amongst the kids, but it's not anything you haven't seen before.

I'm not going in depth with this one, mostly because there is no point. Either you like this kind of movie or you don't. I think once you've seen a teen sex comedy, you've seen them all. The only real distinction of Porky's, is that it was one of the first to be made so raunchy. And yes, it is raunchy.

Bottom Line:
A crude teenage sex comedy that is a fun watch, but ultimately forgettable and not very meaningful, but that's kind of the point.

C-

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment